Thursday 27 August 2009

Welcome to Sweet FA

Is it just me, or is "Fat Acceptance" not the first thing that springs to mind when you see "FA"? Well, this is actually a blog for Fat Acceptance, not for random swearing. Not that I'm ruling that out - as a good Aussie, I'm quite fond of a good oath, so the double entendre amuses me. Quite a lot. Enough to name a blog for it.

Please note the URL. It's sweetxlfa.blogspot.com - that's "Sweet XL FA". Sadly sweetfa.blogspot.com was already taken. To add insult to injury, that person hasn't even updated their blog in five years. Bugger.

Now what's all this, then? It's a new blog, is what. And what I intend it to be may not pan out in reality. But here's the idea:

* Alerts to politically relevant news.
* Alerts to interesting news in health, medicine and nutrition.
* Reviews of clothes shops for Australian fatty boom-bahs.
* Reviews of exercise options for Australian fatty boom-bahs.
* Discussions of any HAES kind of stuff that we feel like.

We? Well, so far I mean me. I'm sort of talking to a friend who might contribute, but nothing's settled. I would be very interested to hear from any other Australians who might like to contribute regularly or occasionally. Or Aussie residents or ex-residents or long-term visitors - there's no citizenship test here. There will definitely be an Australian focus, though. If you want to write about yoga classes in Broome, a gym in Melbourne, a dressmaker in Wagga Wagga, or a clothes shop in Fremantle, that would be great. I'll mostly write about Canberra, myself.

I have a post coming up on my philosophy, but you don't have to agree with me 100% to write here. I'm kind of 95% with Kate Harding and 95% with Greta Christina, and am thoroughly feminist, skeptical and pro-science. There are definitely some arguments to be had around those 5% edges - polite, contentful, civil arguments, I hope. You can contact me via gmail - I'm cajela (at) gmail (dot) com - to volunteer or offer suggestions.

To get started on the arguments: I am not opposed to all diets, all the time. There is such a thing as "too fat". And I also quite like colourful language. "Fatty boom-bahs" is fun, isn't it? It may be intended as an insult, but it's so childish that it's funny to me. Go the boom-bahs!

No comments:

Post a Comment